Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Quiet Times & Mood Swings

How many of you look up commentaries during your quiet time? I was wondering today am I the only one who has constant questions and usually ends up opening up PC study bible to find someone else's opinion?

Today, the reading was in Job and I was perplexed about the idea that Job regularly practiced "purifying his children" or offering sacrifices for them to absolve them of their sins....just in case they sinned. What would that look like for us? Would it be our daily prayers for them? Would it involve asking God to forgive them of their sins?

Several have been discussing on one of the loops I am on, about 12-13 year old daughters. It has made me smile. I have two daughters in this age group. We have had some mood swings but not extreme....although one of my daughters does tend to have some extreme behavior at times. I'm not sure if this is just her....for instance, she doesn't want to hold hands with her brother when praying at the dinner table if she doesn't think his hands are clean enough. Or last night, she playfully hit him and he playfully hit back and she burst into tears. Maybe that is mood swings? She also tends to get overly excited about things--for instance sometimes she will run upstairs to get me overly excited that someone is at the gate. Not an odd thing by any means and not worthy of the extreme emotion displayed. These are just small examples. Does it sounds like mood swings. If so, I would have to say she gets it honestly. I was a mood swinger of the ump th degree.

This morning as I was praying for her, I was trying to figure out how to approach this with her. Do I tell her NOT to be too extreme in anything? (Kind of like The Queen...we watched that movie last night) Do I teach her to tightly control all of her emotions? This seems to be opposite of the cultural norms in America right now. The Thai's rarely show negative or extreme emotions and when we are in public I try to encourage her to keep a tight reign on them as to not impede her witness but again, there is a tricky balance. She does not tend to talk about her emotions, they tend to just come out in extreme actions or reactions.

Can, I offer sacrifices and purify her? :> Maybe if I lite incense and let the aroma float up with my prayers it will endear her to God. (sorry, I can't help but make fun of this culture at times) I will pray for her. And I think I will watch The Queen movie with her and talk about these issues with her. Several kids will be busy today with different things so it might be a good time to do that together.

Blessings!

No comments: