Monday, January 14, 2008

Granola


I made Granola today for the 2nd time in the last week. I have been wanting to make it--a friend's recipe because cereal is so expensive here and I wanted to give my family a healthy alternative. Kelly and I really like it. The others aren't so sure yet. :>

Here is the recipe:

Sandra's Granola
1 c sugar
2/3 c boiling water
2 c non fat dry milk
1/4 honey or corn syrup
5 cups rolled oats
2 c bran or wheat flakes
2 c cornflakes
1/2 c chopped nuts
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1/2 c wheat germ
1 1/2 tsp, salt
1/4 c veggie oil
Dried fruit

In Med bowl mix sugar, boiling water, stir in dry milk and honey or corn syrup and beat with mixer for 2 min. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 300. In lg bowl, combine the oats, flakes, nuts, coconut, salt and wheat germ. Add milk mixture and oil and mix thoroughly. Spread on 2 baking sheets and bake for 20 min. Remove and stir. Bake for 20 more min. Remove and add dried fruit. Bake 5 for min and remove from oven. Cool and store in airtight container.

P.S. I tried to post a picture but blogger wouldn't let me. I'll upload it when it lets me.

3 comments:

momma24 said...

Could I make this without the nuts and coconuts? Dh doesn't like nuts and I don't like coconuts!! Also, the wheat germ - is it totally necessary? If it is, I will have to go buy it! I can't wait to try it!

Amy said...

I LOVE granola. I'm going to have to try this. Thanks for posting!

vcitywife said...

You can leave out the nuts, except I blend them very small and my family doesn't even know they are in there. The same with the coconut. They don't know it's in there when it is all cooked together. The first time I made it, I didn't use the wheat germ. This time I did. I couldn't really tell a difference. Enjoy!