Friday, August 10, 2007

Immigration went surprisingly fast the other day. We were in and out of there in less than thirty min. Then we headed out of town for the retreat. It was a good time to reconnect with Grace staff and be reminded of how blessed we are to be able to live here and have our children attend the school.

One of the main reasons I wanted to attend was because I was hoping it would give Malia a good opportunity to connect with girls her age. I have prayed off and on all summer that this will be a new year at school for her and she will thrive instead of agonizingly strive as she did last year. Well, I was immediately disappointed as I saw her rush ahead to catch up with the 4 girls her age that didn't wait for her. Then, after our session I found her up in our room by herself--not feeling included. I did'nt say much...just watched and kept silently praying. She immediately said she didn't want to go to play putt putt with the group and that when her dad returned from playing golf she was ready to head on home. Thankfully during free time, she ended up going bike riding with her sister and some of Savannah's friends. Then, they asked her to join them for dinner. Then, she wanted to go play putt-putt. I don't know what is ahead for her this year. In some ways she seems more mature than the others her age. And then in other ways she seems less mature. In the ways that really matter--she seems more mature. I am grateful for that. I pray that she will have the stamina to continue to reach out to folks and that God will bring her some friends this semester at school. She is seeing one of her friends she was with alot this summer tomorrow night when she and her dad are in Singapore. I think Kelly is going to take them out to dinner and let them sit at a table by themselves.

Pray for Noah. He is not looking forward to school starting. He tried very hard to smile at his new teacher and not act horribly disappointed about it starting back but he is not thrilled with it. I love his teacher. I think he will, too. She is a retired teacher from Arkansas who has the sweetest southern, grandmotherly disposition. I pray he will have a good year.

You can also pray that his dad has the birds and bees talk with him. I've been telling K Noah is ready but K hasn't really seen the signs until lately. It seems in almost every famiy devo, lately, Noah is asking..."how could they do that?" "how did that happen?" And it usually has to do with birds and bees type issues. And he is not satisfied with just a blow off answer. Inquiring minds want to know! :> Pray that the right time in the next few days will present itself. I dread him going to school and asking those same questions!

No comments: