Tuesday, August 14, 2007

First day of school was a success. Sage is already asking about 4th grade. Sometimes, I have difficulty understanding what is going on in his brain. :>

Yesterday morning we were talking about the importance of using words...instead of fists and he said, "I respond better to fists than words." What is he thinking? There are sometimes huge gaps in his ability to explain his thoughts. He is the sweetest, kindest, pleaser child... He wants to do right--does it most of the time...is popular at school...is funny... but he still cannot articulate his thoughts in a systematic manner. AND, he has a poor short term memory. Now is that true or does he just have so many things to remember? It is hard to know. I cannot give him multi step instructions and expect him to follow through. We have some new materials at Grace about how to distinguish Learning needs issues and ESL issues. I'm thinking we will have a better understanding of what his needs actually are at the end of this year.

Noah...has a complete melt down because he has to write 3 sentences to go with his math homework. He is obviously tired from the day. I observed him in action today. I watched as he chose to be by himself on the playground. I saw him choose to reach out and talk to another younger child who is in our house church and sometimes lonely. I saw Noah separate himself again. And then I saw him in action. In PE, he was a leader...directing and telling everyone what to do. I guess it helps that he is shoulder and head above all the rest of them, doesn't it?

Pr for Malia...there is a girl in her core class. Please continue to pr for a good friend for her. She seemed encouraged after today. I saw her by herself in a group of people. I thought, "oh, dear, God, I can't do this again...." I realize it's not all about me....

Sav was greatly in tune to the interactions between friends---friends separated from the summer...interactions between teachers and students---new teachers---she observed some insecurity (from the teacher) and she was concerned. She has such a gentle sensitive heart. PR that heart can be channeled for good and not for melancholy meanderings that spiral downhill. She had a good day.

I am feeling insecure and out of balance. I have dealt with insecurity the last few months. Not sure what that is all about. Need to spend more time in the word and on my knees!

No comments: