Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Get Out of the Pit by Beth Moore Chapter 1

“One reason some of you nicer folks are in a pit without realizing it is because you mistakenly characterize pits only in terms of sin.”

You can know you’re in a pit when:
1. You feel stuck (Is. 42:22 says a pit is somewhere you feel trapped) You can’t get your self out.
2. You can’t stand up (Ps. 69:2 David cries out, “I sink in deep mire, where there is no standing.”) You know you are in a pit when you feel ineffective and utterly powerless against attack.
3. You’ve lost vision (“The close confinement of a pit exhausts us with the endless echo of self-absorption. We can’t see out, so we turn ourselves in. After a while, our nearsightedness breeds hopelessness.”)
In answer to her question….Are you in a pit? I would have to answer yes. Not as deep a pit as I’ve found myself in before but…still in there. Answers to questions:
1. I feel stuck…stuck in patterns of sin. Or at least that’s what it seems like to me. Stuck in cycles of hopelessness regarding making self discipline changes regarding home organization, meal planning and child training.
2. Can I stand up? I think I’m standing…. However, I do feel hopeless to change in areas that I would like to make changes in, so maybe I’m swaying???
3. You’ve lost vision? Absolutely…that is me to the T. Why are we here? What difference are we making? I am continually tormented by these questions. Did God create me for a specific purpose? I am reading Kevin Leman’s new book “The Real You: Become the Person you were Meant to Be (Unlock the Secrets to your True Potential)” and become discouraged because I don’t fit the patterns. Or at least I can’t see it if I do. Sanguine, Choleric, Melancholy, Phlegmatic? I absolutely, do not fit the typical pattern for oldest child or ONLY although, I might be closer to that one. Neither does my sister, although my brother comes close to fitting the patterns for first born males. So, if I don’t fit the patterns, I guess I can’t become “who I was meant to be…” or that is the way my quirky brain works it out. I’ve put that book away for a while. :>

No comments: