Monday, March 5, 2007

Monday ramblings....



What a day! I feel like I've been doing homework all day! Am I a student???

Malia has 200 challenge words due on Thursday and even though I have been telling her each week to get them done, I haven't followed up on them and so she is lacking about 150. :> She wants to settle for a C grade. I've talked to her teacher before about helping her with these because it is really difficult for her to pick them out (they come from reading and she reads constantly but has difficulty remembering to mark the words). So, I often go back through the books she has read looking for words and marking them and either typing them in for her or she writes them. Today we wrote/typed 101 and I found probably around 25 more that she has not written yet. She has until Thursday, so we will be working on these a few more days.

I've also been researching Hyena's. Noah is doing a project on Hyena's and tonight traced and colored a drawing of a hyena. Would you like to see it? Remind me and I'll try to put different parts of his project in as he does them.

And then we've been working on the Magic E with Sage. (Add e to a short vowel word and it makes the vowel sound long or say it's name) I worked with him for about an hour after school and then Kelly worked with him again for about thirty minutes after supper. Does he have the concept down? Not quite.... This is part of the cognitive processing we've been working to strengthen. He has just completed a program called "Interactive Metronome" and had great success while he was on the program but has seemed to have regressed since completing it. This is very unusual--we are trying to figure this out. I keep thinking/hoping/praying/dreaming that his learning issues are ESL related and he will outgrow them. I'm still clinging to a slight hope that these cognitive issues we are identifying are related to brain overload and will eventually get better. I guess time will tell, won't it?

In between all this homework, I made chicken pot pie and cut up fresh strawberries for supper. Kel called to see if he can bring anything home...ha....and I told him if I got a chance to take a break from homework, I would finish supper and get it in the oven. :>

Prayer request for this week..... Thursday night I will lead a Parent Support Group for Parents of Special Needs kids. The topic is Social Success and this is the 2nd meeting we will have. I expect there to be an interest in this topic. Pray that God will give me wisdom to know what to include and how to lead the group. I've got lots of research and need to narrow it way down so we can actually talk with one another and support each other.

One more prayer request....My nephew Heath, was in the hospital last week with asthma and they don't know why...he wasn't sick. They suspect a food allergy. Please pray for them as they test him and find out what they are dealing with. His cute picture is the one you see here. Doesn't he look like Marla???

No comments: