Wednesday, March 14, 2007

ChiangRai Disaster Area

Chiangrai province, the province next door to ChiangMai Province where we live, has been declared a disaster area due to the fire and pollution. It's pretty bad, here, too...in fact, if it gets much worse they will cancel school. They have already limited all outdoor activity and there can be no sports activities. Yesterday, we had about 600 meters visibility. Today it seems a little better. They aren't expecting it to get alot better until it rains though. Rains aren't expected until June. I'm not sure we can live in this for three months. Do your lungs eventually adjust? Mom and Dad, you can't see the mountain at all. That should give you an idea of how bad it is...there isn't even a little hazy glimpse of it. Here is a news article if you want to read it:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/topstories.php?id=117418

Kel is traveling in the country next door. His first trip in. Here is an excerpt from his email to me. He did not take his computer.

"Also, I am now in P. (in the south near Camb.) Checked in the hotel. Came down to eat and decided I had best drop the diet on this trip since I saw a Pho shop. (V soup for those of you who don't know.) It is connected with the hotel. Talked with the owner and found out she was third generation v. I went ahead and spoke V with her and then would drop back into Thai when I couldn't remember what to say. She said that P is full of V, and they all speak V. Whereas the V in the capital city won't speak it much she said. She said this country is full of other people other than the main people group. Her mom owns the hotel, she runs the Pho shop. The girl next to me at this internet cafe is talking V. This is an interesting place."

Please pray for our team leaders in the southern part of where we used to live. He just returned from his mom's funeral and there have been some major disappointments involving the work there. The enemy is alive and roaring.

Thanks for your prayers!

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Oh My, this sounds awful. I hope that your school won't need to close. I'm going to go read this news story.

Thoughts and prayers for you all.

On an unrelated note we sent a small toy rabbit your way awhile back for our project. Don't know if it made it or if it will with this disaster nearby but thought I should mention it.

I hope you will be safe and can leave if you need to.

Jodi